Saturday, April 26, 2008

Well, I don't know how many of you know this, but I did go on a trip to Guatemala in February to visit Mayan sites with my professor and classmates. If you want more details you can talk to me about it. But here is a little synopsis. Above is Palenque. It is a large site and one of the first discovered. There is a large tower in the center of the city (King Benjamin maybe) and it was absolutely phenomenal. The sites absolutely take your breathe away.
Here I am at a place where they have the pottery on display and actually let you hold it!! This big pot is from the "preclassic" (about 500 BC) and was on the bottom shelf. As we were taking the picture they told me a spider crawled out of the pot and I tried hard not to scream or drop the pot, hence the cheesy smile!
Another great part of the trip was to see the Rain Forest. Ever since I was a little kid I had a fasination with the Rain Forest. I did reports on the forest and jaguars (which we also saw, but in a zoo). But this was an awesome chance to interact with the wild. Oh there were also lots of monkeys.
This was the Mision Palenque, our favorite hotel. We were really ruffing it if you know what I mean...

No comments: